Data Center Gateways
Programmable forwarding planes for the intelligent edge
The inexorable rise of east-west traffic
The modern Data Center is no longer a monolithic entity whose architecture can be optimized for only a few specific applications. With the arrival of the cloud computing and ubiquitous mobile devices, the types of services offered increasingly rely on a huge variety of business processes provided as services by other networks, many of which are distributed across multiple domains. Hence, the percentage of data center traffic going ‘east-west’ within and between data centers has risen to over 80% of the total.
To facilitate these types of connections, network operators utilize a variety of tunneling and label/tag switching strategies such as VLANs and MPLS. Existing network solutions were never intended to deal with the scale of traffic and the numbers of connections generated by the arrival of virtualization and cloud-based services, and these limitations have become a major headache for most network and data center providers. SDN and OpenFlow provide an elegant way of dealing with these limitations by using the matching and flow redirection capabilities of OpenFlow switches to pre-digest network traffic at the edge of the network, minimizing its impact on limited resources such as core network capacity and expensive network appliances.
The NoviSwitch Difference
Unlike legacy network equipment, NoviFlow’s NoviSwitches have architected from the ground-up to deliver a networking fabric optimized for implementing programmable forwarding planes: very large table sizes, multiple tables, packet payload matching and traffic handling at line rate for even hyperscale networks.
Most network gateway products are based on switching ASICs or Intel x86 processors running software-based packet processing. ASICs provides throughput at the cost of very limited programmability and supporting only very basic features of SDN. X86 processors are highly programmable, but with significantly reduced throughput, especially for the more complex packet processing required to implement real SDN.
Instead of these technologies, NoviSwitches uses Network Processors (NPUs), which provide both high throughput and full programmability. When combined with NoviFlow’s NoviWare NOS, NoviSwitch provides a silicon based forwarding plane that is 2 to 3 orders of magnitude faster than x86 processors, yet can deliver the fully programmable packet pipeline needed to provide both the agility and scalability required by today’s networks.
- Programmable pipeline, full OpenFlow 1.3 to 1.5, enables millions of flows at line-rate up to 100 Gbps per port and 800 Gbps total switching capacity in a 1U/2U standard rackmount format
- Supports up to 50,000 rule updates per second
- Low risk, incremental, overlay deployment
- Open API to inject, manage and monitor actions
- Routing, tunneling, monitoring, security filtering, metering, service chaining, load balancing, time stamping and other special features running at line-rate as part of network fabric
- Multiple port configurations optimized for Access (BNG), Aggregation, Edge and ToR gateways
- On-site software updates with major new feature releases every 3 to 4 months software
- Access control, path optimization and security become an integral part of the network fabric
- Reducing downtime due to human error and easier centralized management of all routing in a network
- Simplifies and reduces cost of deployment of NFV, cloud, MEC and multi-tenant services
- Easier deployment of new services
- Lower latency and better Quality of Service (QoS)
- Lower CAPEX (up to 75% less) and OPEX (up to 65% less) over standard chassis-based solutions
- Genuine linear scalability with NoviScale
- NO vendor lock in as all components delivered on commercial off-the-shelf hardware.
Leave your email address or your telephone number below and we’ll contact you as soon as possible.