Smart Traffic Steering
Programmable forwarding planes for the intelligent edge
In an on-demand world you can’t afford to be slow…
Despite the last twenty years’ breakthroughs in data center compute and storage, or even perhaps because of them, rising network costs remain an inescapable issue. Networking technology lags significantly behind compute and storage in taking advantage of virtualization and disaggregation, resulting rigid all-in-one designs, vendor lock-in, the multiplication of protocols, proprietary interfaces, non-deterministic network behaviour, and a very limited ability to interact meaningfully with the applications and services that use network resources.
The vast multiplication of connected devices and BYOD have further complicated the issue, placing extreme requirements for flexibility in connecting these devices to network based services. These problems can significantly hamper the uptake of new services, be it in the hybrid cloud or wholly within the internal user population of an enterprise. Consequently, service providers want to build infrastructures that would as much as possible allow end users to provision themselves in an easy to use yet centrally controlled fashion. And on-premise equipment needs to be easily controlled, provisioned and managed from a central site. This is especially true of enterprise and retail environments, where PoS systems and in-store systems often are difficult to access and expensive to maintain if such maintenance requires on-site service calls.
The NoviSwitch Difference
Unlike legacy network equipment, NoviFlow’s NoviSwitches have architected from the ground-up to deliver a networking fabric optimized for implementing programmable forwarding planes: very large table sizes, multiple tables, packet payload matching and traffic handling at line rate for even hyperscale networks.
NoviSwitches uses Network Processors (NPUs), which provide both high throughput and full programmability. When combined with NoviFlow’s NoviWare NOS, NoviSwitch provides a silicon based forwarding plane that is 2 to 3 orders of magnitude faster than x86 processors, yet can deliver the fully programmable packet pipeline needed to provide both the agility and scalability required by today’s networks.
NoviFlow’s NoviSwitch offer many advanced features that significantly reduce expenses by implementing remotely managed customer capabilities, and that enable transparent access to network services across domains using advanced tunneling and flow management capabilities, and that allow users to provision themselves via a central site. This cost-reducing approach also has the potential to significantly broaden the use of such customized enterprise solutions even by relatively small companies who could not have previously afforded the scale of staffing needed to do this type of service. And of course, with the massive increase in the availability of cloud based services (such as Salesforce.com TM) services that large enterprise could afford are now economical for even the smallest businesses.
- Programmable pipeline, full OpenFlow 1.3 to 1.5, enables millions of flows to be tracked at line-rate up to 100Gbps per port and 800 Gbps switching capacity in a 1U/2U standard rackmount format
- L2-L7 (incl. data payload) filtering and forwarding
- VxLAN/L2GRE/L2MPLS/GTP Tunnels
- API to inject, manage and monitor actions
- Routing, tunneling, monitoring, security filtering, metering, service chaining, load balancing, time stamping and other flow-handling at line-rate as part of network fabric
- Multiple port configurations available optimized for Access (BNG), Aggregation and ToR applications
- Access control, path optimization and security become an integral part of the network fabric
- IP/MPLS core network off-load and optimization
- Simplifies deployment of NFV, cloud and multi-tenant services
- Lower installation and support costs via remote configuration and upgrades
- Lower CAPEX (up to 75% less) and OPEX (up to 65% less) over standard solutions
- Genuine linear scalability with NoviScale
- NO vendor lock in as all components delivered on commercial off-the-shelf hardware.
Leave your email address or your telephone number below and we’ll contact you as soon as possible.