Programmable forwarding planes for the intelligent Top-of-Rack
In a cloud computing world the ToR is the network’s edge…
With the arrival of virtualization and cloud computing, applications and services migrate back and forth across the network in response to the availability of and to ensure optimal use of compute, storage and bandwidth. In this world, the concept of the network edge has shifted, as east-west traffic becomes ever-more dominant, multiple tenants compete for resources, and cloud providers may not even know what software is being run on their servers. In this world, the servers within a datacenter cannot be considered truly secure, and the Top-of-Rack becomes the point from which policy, security, automation, and service access is controlled.
To complicate matters, the vast multiplication of connected devices and BYOD are placing extreme requirements for flexibility in access to network based services. Consequently, service providers want to build infrastructures that would as much as possible allow enterprise customers as well as end users to provision themselves in an easy to use yet centrally controlled fashion. SDN provides the tools to implement this infrastructure as an overlay on existing systems, but unfortunately most ToR switches lack either the table capacity, programmability or throughput needed to implement such solutions.
The NoviSwitch Difference
Unlike legacy network equipment, NoviFlow’s NoviSwitches have architected from the ground-up to deliver a networking fabric optimized for implementing programmable forwarding planes: very large table sizes, multiple tables, packet payload matching and traffic handling at line rate for even hyperscale networks.
NoviSwitches uses Network Processors (NPUs), which provide both high throughput and full programmability. When combined with NoviFlow’s NoviWare NOS, NoviSwitch provides a silicon based forwarding plane that is 2 to 3 orders of magnitude faster than x86 processors, yet can deliver the fully programmable packet pipeline needed to provide both the agility and scalability required by today’s networks.
NoviFlow’s NoviSwitches offer a fully programmable high-performance forwarding place in a 1U format ideal for use at the ToR. NoviSwitch SDN switches have many advanced features that significantly reduce expenses by implementing remotely managed customer capabilities, and that enable transparent access to network services across domains using advanced tunnelling and flow management capabilities. They also offer huge access control lists, advanced metering capabilities, load balancing, security mitigation, service chaining, filtering and flow handling and that allow users to provision themselves via a central site. Used with the NoviFlow vSwitch Offload solution they can even liberate significant in-rack compute resources by eliminating the need to reserve server CPU cores for running local v-switches.
Also, each NoviSwitch runs the NoviWare Network Operating Software (NOS) which is field upgradable so that new features and capabilities can be added via software upgrades, protecting the value and prolonging the useful lifetime of installed switches.
- Programmable multi-table pipeline, full OpenFlow 1.3 to 1.5, enables up to 16 million flows to be tracked at line-rate up to 100Gbps per port and 800 Gbps switching capacity in a 1U/2U standard rackmount format
- L2-L7 (incl. data payload) filtering and forwarding
- VxLAN/L2GRE/L2MPLS/GTP Tunnels
- API to inject, manage and monitor actions
- Routing, tunneling, monitoring, dynamic tapping, security filtering and mitigation, metering, service chaining, load balancing, time stamping and other flow-handling at line-rate as part of network fabric
- Multiple port configurations available optimized for Access (BNG), Aggregation and ToR applications
- NoviSwitches enhance your investment in SDN by providing the most advanced field upgradable OpenFlow compliant devices available.
- Access control, path optimization and security become an integral part of the network fabric
- Security of East-West traffic is improved by installing cybersecurity mitigation actions at the Top-of-Rack switches
- Off-loading ACL enforcement from server hypervisors increase server performance up to 30%
- Implementing Load Balancing in the TOR NoviSwitch removes an expensive load balancing dedicated device from the rack
- Metering and traffic direction at the TOR NoviFlow switch makes your entire network more efficient
- Simplifies deployment of NFV, cloud and multi-tenant services
- IP/MPLS core network off-load and optimization
- Lower installation and support costs via remote configuration and upgrades
- Lower CAPEX (up to 75% less) and OPEX (up to 65% less) over standard solutions
- NO vendor lock in as all components delivered on commercial off-the-shelf hardware.
Leave your email address or your telephone number below and we’ll contact you as soon as possible.