CG – NAT
NoviFlow’s CGNMapper and Fortinet’s CG-NAT service: Terabit capacity and dynamic scaling to stay ahead of today’s exponentially growing demand for CG-NAT services
Recent years have seen a tremendous and accelerating increase in demand for data networking capacity from carriers and enterprises. The multiplication of mobile and connected devices, the proliferation of streaming video-based applications, and cloud-based services will only augment the challenge of delivering capacity and ensuring quality as data moves from web to mobile to machines. To compound the issue, the surge in IoT and the recent global depletion of public IPv4 addresses strains existing IPv4 infrastructures and increases demand for CG-NAT IPv4 services.
The joint solution combines NoviFlow’s CyberMapper SDN-enhanced forwarding plane with Fortinet’s FortiGate CG-NAT service, effectively incorporating this service in the SDN network. Together, the NoviFlow/Fortinet solution delivers high throughput and dynamically scalable CG-NAT services in a programmable SDN networking environment while reducing total customer network CAPEX and OPEX.
Key capabilities and benefits enabled by the joint solution are:
- IP address expansion through Fortinet CG-NAT to overcome the IPv4 address exhaustion
- Enhanced threat prevention by hiding subscribers’ and infrastructures’ IP addresses from the Internet
- Dynamic scaling of FortiGate VMs configured for CG-NAT services to support dynamic and rapid increase in the number of subscribers and devices to substantially increase revenue
- Elimination of expensive load balancing appliances with load balancing enabled in the switching fabric
- Enhances performance required by today’s carriers:
- Up to 500G of throughput
- Billions of private IP flows
- Millions of users
- Billions of public IP/port flows
The joint Fortinet/NoviFlow CG-NAT solution directly addresses the depletion of public IPv4 addresses and the highly variable nature of traffic facing large carrier and service provider networks. It also extends the radical CAPEX and OPEX benefits of SDN-based programmable forwarding planes even further into the Cybersecurity segment.
The Fortinet and NoviFlow integrated solution scales effectively to address high-throughput use cases in large-scale deployments. By implementing CG-NAT data-plane functions directly in the switching fabric, traffic is dynamically directed to each security device to optimize and efficiently utilize the address translation and security functions. Since load balancing is also done in the switching fabric, the solution preserves stateful security information, minimizing gaps in coverage. The result is a solution that can dynamically scale as demand fluctuates, while reducing both capital expenses and operational costs.