Beyond the Next Hop
The next generation of networking is here. Programmable Networks, or Software Defined Networks (SDN), deliver reduced operational costs and increase responsiveness to new demand. OpenFlow is the leading implementation of SDN and NoviFlow is the leading provider of REAL OpenFlow.
But the “Next Hop” is only part of the Programmable Network story. This technology provides the foundation to inject major Value-Added capabilities and services directly into the network fabric. NoviFlow also leads the way into this “Enhanced Network.”
The Internet Become More Complex and More Threatening
In today’s world, the Internet is becoming more valuable, more complex and more threatening. The value of information and services provided by the Internet is growing exponentially. Unfortunately, traffic volumes, security threats and complexity are also growing exponentially.
Network devices of the future have to address more than just determining the forwarding path of a pocket. They must be active participants in providing line-rate cybersecurity, traffic management and other Value-Added services such as load balancing. Fortunately, programmable networks implementing REAL OpenFlow are up to the challenge,. And, NoviFlow leads the way.
The Programmable Network Device
“Beyond the Next Hop” network devices deliver three critical capabilities every time a packet is processed:
- Path – This is the standard Internet service of determining the next hop and applying any pack manipulation that is required, such as adding or removing headers. Path also includes new Value-Added services such as Load Balancing operating in the switch fabric.
- Right – This is Cybersecurity functionality imbedded into the network fabric. This is the ability to test a packet’s rights to move forward against large scale (into the millions) mitigation, blacklist and ACL rule sets. And, this provides this security functionality at line-rate throughput.
- Volume – This is providing Priority, Metering and Traffic Shaping in the switch fabric. The exponential increase in Internet traffic requires this functionality to make sure that the most important traffic gets through and that the rate not exceed a user’s subscription level.
OpenFlow programmable network devices from NoviFlow deliver all these required capabilities.
Programmability via OpenFlow and Network Processors
NoviFlow’s programmable network switches that provide the Path, Rights and Volume capabilities are based on OpenFlow and Network Processors (NPUs). These technologies provide the processing power and programming environment required to forward flows at the detail level, manipulate packets as required, provide cybersecurity filtering, and manage traffic throughput at the subscriber level.
The NoviSwitch set of features that deliver high-performance programmable networking with extended Value-Add functionality is:
- Line-Rate Throughput up to 800 Gbps
- Fully programmable match-action multi-table pipeline with up to 16 million entries in up to 120 Tables
- Full implementation of OpenFlow 1.3 to 1.5 specification
- Broad support for tunneling protocols
- Enhanced field selection with the header
- ACL rules programmed into match-action multi-table pipeline
- Cybersecurity Mitigation actions programmed into match-action multi-table pipeline
- Load Balancing functionality programmed into match-action multi-table pipeline
- Supports Dynamic Tapping functionality programmed into the match-action multi-table pipeline
- Up to a million meters
Need more details?
Leave your email address or your telephone number below and we'll contact you as soon as possible